We have a large rhubarb patch at Le Pré Vert and the damp weather has meant plenty of growth. I’ve pulled some to take home, some for friends and 2kg to make some jam. There was punnet of strawberries in lurking in the fridge so I found a recipe for rhubarb and strawberry jam. I discounted a Nigella recipe which sounded really interesting because it needed to be boiled for a short time each day for 4 days! Now although there's nothing I'd like more than to stay here for a few days longer, I doubt that my headteacher would accept essential jam making to be a reasonable excuse!
At the last minute I threw in a few blueberries, to use them up before we leave.
The recipe suggested that the fruit should be prepared, covered in layers with sugar and left overnight. This morning I was up bright and early to start the boiling and prepare my jars. I didn’t have any waxed circles so had to improvise – seemingly the story of my life. Tim produced the labels.