Wednesday 30 July 2014

Wednesday catch up…

We aim to walk each day, although if the temperatures are high we put off the walk until the evening, by which time we are too tired. Excuses, excuses! However, we did walk in the afternoon and were fortunate that both we, and our line full of dry washing, didn’t get wet. Tim found shelter underneath some bamboo plants which are well out of control. Still, this could be an important source of food if the pandas at nearby Beauval ever run short!

P1000344

P1000345A slightly wonky photograph along the same theme as the teasel one. We estimated the bamboo was about 12m tall!

Yesterday there was some respite from the hot weather. Cloud, a cooler wind with intermittent sun. Tim worked at some curriculum writing, with a deadline of August 1st, called the Great British Make Off. Watch this space!

 I pottered around the house, then set off to visit friends, Niall and Antoinette, in the neighbouring village of Charnizay. It was good to have a cup of tea with them, and to catch up with their news. The wonderful view from their sunny terrace, which must have been taken by mistake when we were looking at my camera.

P1000341

In France I feel the need to plan what I do well in advance, so often things lack some of the spontaneity which characterised life in the UK. Not that going to work can ever be called spontaneous, but the variations around it often were.  Maybe this is because we are even more remote here, or perhaps I’ve slowed down just a bit too much than is good for a 57 (soon to be 58) year old!

At the weekend we attended a wonderful party, hosted by Simon and Susan, in Preuilly sur Claise. The food, drinks and company were excellent. We had very interesting conversations with guests of different nationalities in a relaxed atmosphere. Elizabeth had made a delicious cake to celebrate the 800th anniversary of S&S’s graineterie.

P1000338

I’ll bet Colin enjoyed the trimmings. I’m just thinking that had the planned CCC meeting not been postponed, the prototype for this might well have been a bicycle …

11 comments:

  1. For a complete mistake -- I pressed the wrong button -- that photo of the terrace came out extremely well :-)

    Thanks for the goodies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. For obvious reasons I usually like to give flapjack away!! I shall be dropping some off with T&P tomorrow... ;o)

      Delete
  2. Gaynor, the cake was gluten free... I only saw the trimmings... You are right about the bicycle though!

    Spontaneity is good you should stick with it... C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try, Colin. I'll try my very best!!

      Delete
  3. The terrace photo is beautiful for an accident and my, that bamboo is very tall. And after years and years of unconscious and subconscious planning, I think spontaneity may take just a few weeks to establish itself fully. But it will do - and then your life will be so busy that you'll have to build some planning time in...Life's like that! Enjoy, it all looks jolly good.
    Axxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems that Antoinette pressed the wrong button!

      Maybe things will be different in September as I move from holiday mode to 'life after work' mode. Whatever rest assured that I shall be trying my very best to enjoy whatever comes along. xx

      Delete
  4. That bamboo looks great.....as does life with you at the moment...enjoy it all ! Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall. Looks like the Quo gave a super concert! Did it take you back?

      Delete
  5. Great photo for an accident!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe Antoinette is being modest...but somehow I don't think so!

      Delete
  6. "some bamboo plants which are well out of control...."
    Isn't that true of almost all bamboos??
    That is scaffold quality there....
    just what's needed for pergolas, bean frames and tomato supports....
    cut enough for those and it would soon be under control until....
    ....
    ....
    ....
    next......
    .....
    .....
    .....
    .....
    YEAR!!
    Or possibly month?

    ReplyDelete