Monday 16 May 2011

Monday music .......... my desert island disc collection part 1

Often on a Sunday morning I listen to the Archers Omnibus followed by Desert Island Discs - my daughter often reminds me that I like controlled fun in small doses!!

I've enjoyed it in all it's reincarnations, with different presenters, but perhaps I'm not quite old enough for the Roy Plumley original version - or perhaps I was just too busy at the time.

Anyway, Hotel California by the Eagles would definitely be my first choice.





The Eagles as they are today

This particular video was recorded in 1994.

We've seen the Eagles three times in concert, once in the late 70's and a couple of times more recently. Band members have come and gone, but they have always put on a terrific show. The sound they recreate is studio quality. This is one of those songs that I could place on a loop and listen to time after time.

Why do I like it? Nostalgia - it reminds me of my relatively carefree university days in the 70's, before work, a mortgage and a family. When you played loud music and didn't worry too much about your neighbours - they were playing their music at full volume too!

8 comments:

  1. Once of the greatest songs ever recorded for sure. You have good taste!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Eagles, sadly I cannot play this on my computer the connection is too slow :-( I still think the 60's music is the best ever. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Craig,
    I agree! Over the next few weeks I'll post my other choices and perhaps even a book and a luxury.........

    ReplyDelete
  4. Diane,

    Last year our speeds in France were good, certainly better than at home. However when we were reconnected at the end of March, the speed had dropped off noticeably.

    It can be a pain for Tim as he works mostly from home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there, thanks for stopping by my blog and being a follower. I am now following you, as it looks like we have several things in common. I too enjoy the Eagles and Hotel California.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,

    We are obviously both online at the same time!.

    As I said, I am enjoying your blog but for some reason it doesn't automatically update on the side bar as the other blogs I follow do. I have now added it to my 'favourites'.

    Your pics are certainly a brilliant advertisement for UK tourism!

    Keep up the good work....

    ReplyDelete
  7. They don't make music like that anymore! I also have an Eagles album and I love playing it from time to time. But it's pretty 'worn out' and scratchy. I wonder if there is a CD version of it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Martine,
    I'm sure there will be a CD version. We have CD versions of a lot of our vinyl albums and now MP3 versions of the CD's! Where will it end?

    I think you will probably find as I reveal my other choices for my desert island that a several more of them come from that era!

    ReplyDelete