Monday 11 July 2011

Monday music .......... my desert island disc collection part 10 ...........

This version of Handbags and Gladrags has special memories for me. It was performed on New Years Eve 2009 by Kelly Jones, the lead singer of the Stereophonics, with Jools Holland and his Rhythm & Blues Orchestra - and what special musicians they are!

 We had just signed for our house in France a couple of days earlier, and were there with minimal furniture and  minimal heat, on a very cold night. We were huddled around the log burner and at this point it still felt like we were living in someone elses house! When this came on I think I relaxed for the first time ........

It was written in 1967 by Mike d'Abo, who was then the lead singer of Manfred Mann, but I first remember Rod Stewart performing it. Then, in  2001 the Stereophonics released a version, and it was  it added to their album Just Enough Education to Perform.

Kelly Jones, who was born a few miles away from me,  has a fantastic raw voice. He is also a very good songwriter in his own right, and as a lyricist is influenced by Bob Dylan, Neil Young and Otis Redding. That, as they say, is good enough for me ....... 


6 comments:

  1. Hello Gaynor:
    So often in life a piece of music recalls a particular moment in time, as this song does for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gaynor - he's good in't he? I'll look up more about him. This song always reminds me of "The Office"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have many memories tied up with bits of music. I don't know this particulat piece and sadly with my slow connection I cannot play it!! I did try :-( Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Diane,
    How frustrating it must be to have such a slow connection - especially if your charges are the same as those with a decent speed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jane and Lance,
    Trouble with getting older it that it is hard to remember both the music and the moment in time - at the same time!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Craig,
    I just love his voice. Check out his solo album 'Only the names have been changed'. Some beautiful songs there.

    ReplyDelete