Saturday 2 July 2011

A Thursday with a difference ................

Thursday was a bit different to a normal working one, as this Thursday, for the first time that I can remember, I was on strike. I won't go into the minute details, as everyone will have their own opinion. Suffice it to say that although I didn't take the decision to strike lightly, and belong to a union which until now has been opposed to strike action, it was something that I felt I needed to make a stand about. I have in the past (1980's) worked to rule, which arguably had a greater effect on my pupils.



Anyway, the strike action meant that the parents'   consultation meeting planned for the evening was moved to another day. This meant that I was straight online to book tickets to see Paul Simon at the NIA in Birmingham. 

We were able to set out mid afternoon, have a relaxing  walk along the redeveloped canal area and a meal before the concert. I'm cross that I forgot to take my camera so the images are all courtesy of google!


Brindley Place in Birmingham.

After the meal we had some time to call in at a reception at an art gallery where I fell in love with some new Paul Kenton work. I never make my mind up quickly, but today I did, and a large wall we have in France will no longer be bare. I can't wait .................








Paul Simon ageing but ageless, fresh from his triumph at Glastonbury, was absolutely fantastic. He had a great band with him and was on stage for nearly 2 hours 20 minutes. The playlist was drawn from all parts of his five decade career as a performing artist, ranging through 'Simon and Garfunkle', 'Negotiations and Love Songs','Graceland', 'Rhythm of the Saints' to his latest 'So Beautiful or So What'. As arguably one of the greatest songwriters of all time, he was still able to pay tribute to another with a beautiful rendition of 'Here Comes the Sun'

There were so many highlights, but two that stood out for me were a solo acoustic performance of 'Sounds of Silence',



and his final encore of 'You Can Call me Al'. This clip was recorded a couple of years ago and wasn't from his live tour. Most of the audience were on their feet singing with him, although very tight security curtailed the dancing in the aisles!




Whether the strike will have the desired effect, or indeed any effect, remains to be seen.

I had a good day, and by all accounts so did my pupils ......

6 comments:

  1. That sounds great. I'm glad you enjoyed your ' forced day-off', but ... shouldn't you have been on the barricades with your fellow workers ??? (lol) Martine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Paul Simon - he was a part of my teenage years and I'm glad he's still going strong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Martine,

    I am ashamed to say that I wasn't on the barricades- this time. Who knows about the next time?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jean,
    Everything is still there as good as it ever was - except perhaps for his hair! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a perfect sounding day! Paul Simon is excellent and the art work of Paul Kenton looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Craig,

    He was excellent, and 'still crazy after all these years'.

    ReplyDelete